Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Try not to heave while I do a rare Gratitude post


I'm not much on doing nice humble gratitude posts.  I'd rather gripe.  But this week has brought too many things to love and to be grateful for, so bear with me.

1.  3 healthy cats.  Both sick guys are back to their usual selves, and Little Gray has not shown symptoms.

Downy rests up from the heavy demands of his life

2.  Fall!  The first nice cool overcast days of the season. I actually wore a sweater over the weekend. I'm also a fan of gentle gray days and cool weather, so the cool, cloudy weekend was like a gift. And today, we're getting rain!  Huzzah!

3.  Time with my dad, and the fact that he's still getting around and finding good in life.


4.  A husband who decides to spend the afternoon baking bread.  On his birthday.  That was Friday.

 

5.  And who walked all over the grocery store to find the chips I craved, on a special display, after I'd glumly given up on them when they weren't on the regular chip aisle.  I didn't make him do it, honest - I'm not that much of a High Maintenance Woman. Probably too much of one, but not that much of one. He disappeared and next thing I knew, he was guiding me to a chip rack.


6.  Books.  At every stage of my life, books have moved me, expanded my world, and kept me sane. This is only a few of the ones that have been the right book at the right time over the decades.


7. The invention of the slow cooker.  It's more than just an easy method of cooking for ADDs.  As luck would have it, the slow-cooker also makes the kind of food I like best, thick soups and stews, one-dish meals.  Slow cooking has existed for eons, but this little wonder of the world lets you do it without keeping watch over it, and without leaving your stove or oven on all day if you're out.

Back to my usual crabbiness without delay....



5 comments:

Sherwood Harrington said...

All things to be well and truly thankful for, certainly. And I'm especially happy for the first item.

(Aside: this is the first time I've noticed the change in Blogger's behavior when one clicks on a photo in a blog post -- I like it!)

southernyankee said...

Baking bread is best when you have someone near and dear who enjoys both the effort and the outcome.

southernyankee said...

Um P.S. No you're not such a high maintenance woman. . . :o)

Catherine said...

Hurrah for three healthy cats and for a hubby who is nurturing!!

ronnie said...

Wonderful post. Happy for you and particularly happy to hear all the cats are feeling fine again.