Thursday, February 03, 2011

Faces to go with the names

Back in December I posted "One Hundred Christmases," about books given as Christmas gifts among my family members, starting way back. So now that i've found some photos of the earliest gift givers, I thought I'd blog them. Here are the three sisters; Bell, Iola, and Jessamine.

I never knew Bell, and I don't think I've ever seen this picture before. My mother, bless her! sorted and labeled gazillions of old photos and I'm slowly going through them. Nice to meet you, Bell! Probably a photo from, maybe, 20 years after the one of her little sisters, which follows. She was older but not this much older!



I did know both of these ladies; Jessamine was my great great aunt, and lived to age 92, when I was 18! And next to her, the middle sister, my great grandmother, Iola. She did live to a ripe old age, but died when I was 5 :



Iola a bit later; my great grandparents as newlyweds. Pretty happy, despite her rather glum expression.

1 comment:

Sherwood Harrington said...

These are very, very wonderful, Ruth. Do I see a bit of your eyes in Bell's?

And what names! Bell, Jessamine, and Iola -- maybe it's time for them to make a comeback.