Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stealing a car

This post by genuine, and multiply award-winning, artist Brian Fies on his Mom's Cancer blog, shows how he used a model to place an automobile into a drawing.

I am about as genuinely Not An Artist as it gets. People who can draw seem to me to be channeling a god who snubs me. I loved Brian's post, and I love any illustration that an artist does which shows his/her process. It remains a very mysterious process to me.

But I did copy a car image one time. Brian's post inspired me to haul my 1976 embroidered denim shirt out of storage.

I miss the old ten dollar bill. The engraving on the back, of the U. S. Treasury building in around 1928, is just delightful and so much more interesting than the new serious designs. One element that always enchanted me was the little car on the street. I always thought it was a Model T Ford, but according to wikipedia's article on the bill's history it's no particular model, just a sort of generic car of the era.


I traced it onto the shirt with a pencil and embroidered it, taxing my artistic abilities to the max, while I watched the Ford/Carter debates on the dorm-basement TV. Did a so-so job on its proportions, but, hey, it's not a real car anyway, so accuracy is irrelevant!


1 comment:

Sherwood Harrington said...

I absolutely agree with you about the old sawbuck. When I was a kid, the $10 bill held a twofold aura of intrigue: one, it was a talisman of staggering wealth, and, two, it had that really, really cool little car on it that nobody knew was there.

And, of course, I loved Brian's post, too, but your embroidered theft is at least as cool as his paper-based one. Better still, yours reminds me of embroideries on denim, late-'60's chamois workshirts proletarianism, and youth. Thankee, Ruth!